For the most part, gambling in moderation is a socially acceptable behavior. However, gambling problem is another story. If gambling addiction is left untreated, it can negatively affect your financial situation, marriage, family, and other aspects of your life.
Gambling is an activity where a person risks a valuable item, such as money or jewelry, on the outcome of an event that is determined mostly by chance. It is considered as one of the most insidious of human vices as it presents the illusion of easy money, yet it can easily lead to financial problems.
Some behaviors that might be shown by people who have gambling addiction or gambling problem are:
- Obsessing over any type of gambling
- Neglecting bills and expenses and using the money to gamble
- Avoiding work or other commitments to gamble
- Stealing money to gamble
- Feeling guilty after a gambling session
- Taking bigger and bigger risks while gambling
- Finding it difficult to control, stop or cut down gambling or feeling irritable when doing so
- Feeling a sense of emptiness or loss when not gambling.
If you feel like some of the symptoms above are familiar, talk to us and do not let your addiction hold you back. If you suspect that a family member or partner may have a gambling problem, our family therapy and marriage counseling services at the Singapore Counselling Centre can be an extra support in helping your loved one to escape from his or her addiction.
Take the first step to break your chain from the addiction by making an online request for an appointment with of our professional counselors!
Thank you for choosing the Singapore Counselling Centre (SCC). Please refer to the booking form below to book your appointment with us. We look forward to seeing you soon!